Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Squatting


I was pretty disappointed when I wasn't offered a contract extension for the winter months for two reasons. Number one, of course, was because I'd need to find work for a few months. Number two being that I had hoped that a place to live would accompany the contract extension.

The lab I work for leases two buildings on a protected piece of land called Creek Farm. There are a number of apartments there (albeit in varying states of disrepair) into which several staff members have moved. A coat of paint and a good floor scrub would make all but the worst units quite livable.


The "cottage" at Creek Farm

I talked to my boss about potentially staying at Creek Farm after my contract ends. "All winter would be great, but even if it's only a few weeks until I'm settled in someplace else, I would greatly appreciate it".


And this is what he told me: "The director feels he's already made too many promises about the apartments at Creek Farm. However, if you moved into an apartment that was already occupied (as it happens, when Meg moves to California, she'll be leaving an empty room behind...), you wouldn't really be costing the lab any money.
Why don't you just move into Meg's old room for a while, and we won't even have to tell anybody that you're there."

I am interpreting this to mean: I will be a squatter on the Creek Farm property. And while I'm fairly certain that people will eventually notice my presence, I'm willing to give this idea a try. At least it's a nice place to squat (if only for a little while...).


Yes, those are stone lions

No comments: